How to Solder in Ten Easy Steps
Soldering is an essential skill in electronics, fortunately it is easy to get started. Just follow our 10 step guide and watch the video below and you'll be soldering in no time!
1. Start with the smallest components working up to the taller components, soldering any interconnecting wires last.
2. Place the component into the board, making sure it goes in the right way around and the part sits flush against the board.
3. Bend the leads slightly to secure the part.
4. Make sure the soldering iron has warmed up and if necessary use the damp sponge to clean the tip.
5. Place the soldering iron on the pad.
6. Using your free hand feed the end of the solder onto the pad (see image below).
7. Remove the solder, then the soldering iron.
8. Leave the join to cool for a few seconds.
9. Using a pair of cutters trim the excess component lead (see image below).
10. If you make a mistake heat up the join with the soldering iron, whilst the solder is molten, place the tip of your solder extractor by the solder and push the button (see image below).
You can see the difference between a good solder joint, and ones with either too little or too much solder in the image below.
The following video shows in simple steps how to solder safely and correctly.
Download a pdf version of this page here
Learn more about the author read more »